Mr. Frances Hocutt
- University of Washington MS, Chemistry
- University of Washington MS, Materials Science and Engineering
- Harvey Mudd College BS with distinction, Chemistry
- Databases: SQL, MySQL, SQLite.
- Software/Tools: Git, Github, Vagrant, MediaWiki, jQuery, Phabricator, Gerrit.
- Software engineer, Wikimedia Foundation, Community Tech team. Fixed, maintained, and improved tools for power users on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, with an emphasis on small-tool integrations and legacy code improvements. June 2015-Mar 2016.
- Software developer, Wikimedia Foundation. Created new recommendation systems to drive participation in collaborative on-wiki spaces and connect new participants with projects and resources. Oct 2014-Apr 2015.
- Wikimedia Foundation internship: Evaluating, documenting, and improving MediaWiki API client libraries. Established consensus-based standard best practices for voluntary adoption by MediaWiki API client libraries. Used these standards to evaluate available Python, Perl, Java, and Ruby libraries. Several widely used projects (pywikibot, mwclient) have made significant progress towards meeting the standards. May-Aug 2014.
- Provided easy API to access Page Assessment information in a usable and generic way on Wikipedia. Tech used: PHP, MySQL.
- UX improvements to the Secure Polling extension. Tech used: PHP, jQuery.
- Created a recommendation system to drive participation in the Wikimedia Grants program’s IdeaLab and to connect participants with projects and resources. (Inspire Grants: Gender gap campaign) Tech used: Python, MediaWiki, MySQL.
- Created a recommendation system to facilitate mentorship in the Wikipedia Co-op learning space, and to make it possible to track participants’ learning and editing outcomes. (Reimagining Wikipedia Mentorship; code repository.) Tech used: Python, MySQL, MediaWiki.
- Contributions to Dreamwidth (Perl), Java Wiki Bot Framework (Java), mwclient (Python).
- Project leader, Code of Conduct for MediaWiki Technical Spaces, Aug 2014-Jan 2015.
- Facilitator, Wikisource Conference, Austria, Nov 2015.
- Co-founder and founding President and Director, Seattle Attic Community Workshop, May 2013-Sep 2014.
- Ally Skills For Scientists training, New College of Florida, January 2015.
- Community Data Science Workshop, University of Washington, November 2014. Instructor and co-organizer: lectured on API principles and usage, ran a workshop on the MediaWiki API, provided one-on-one teaching and support.
- Ally Skills Workshop, WikiConference USA, May 2014. Based on the Ada Initiative’s Ally Skills Workshops.
- “Exit Condition: when to ragequit, raise hell, or duck and cover”, Open Source Bridge, June 2016.
- “Workshop: Learn about and evaluate MediaWiki web API client libraries!” Wikimania Hackathon, July 2015.
- “A Developers-Eye View of API Client Libraries”, Open Source Bridge, June 2015. Video.
- “A Developers-Eye View of API Client Libraries”, Linux Fest Northwest, April 2015.
- “A Developers-Eye View of API Client Libraries”, SoCal Linux Expo 13x, February 2015. Video.
- “Why are these people following me?”: Leadership for the introverted, uncertain, and astonished. Keynote address, Open Source Bridge, June 2014. Transcript and video.
- “APIs 101”, 60-minute tutorial, AdaCamp Portland, June 2014.
- “Using the MediaWiki web API to get (only) the data you need”, WikiConference USA, May 2014. Slides part 1, slides part 2.
- Hocutt, F. M.; Daub, G. W.; Van Ryswyk, H. “Computer controlled data collection in the first year general chemistry laboratory.” Poster presented at the 233rd ACS National Meeting, Chicago, IL, March 2007.
- Sobelman, S. J.; Gray, K. C.; Hocutt, F. M.; Vosburg, D. A. “Palladium π-allyl route to the endiandric acid cascade.” Poster presented at the 233rd ACS National Meeting, Chicago, IL, March 2007.
- “When ‘I Didn’t Mean To’ Makes it Worse”. Model View Culture, April 2014.
- “I Didn’t Want To Lean Out”. Model View Culture, February 2014.
- Barcenas, M.; Chennameneni, N. K.; Wolfe, B.; Hocutt, F.; Gelb, M.; Turecek, F.; Scott, C. R. Newborn screening of mucopolysaccharidosis II (Hunter syndrome) and VI (Maroteaux-Lamy syndrome) using flow injection tandem mass spectrometry and newly developed reagents. Mol. Genetics and Metabolism, 2014, 111 (2), S23.
- Venkatesan, H.; Hocutt, F. M.; Jones, T. K.; Rabinowitz, M. H. A One-Step Synthesis of 2,4-Unsubstituted Quinoline-3-carboxylic Acid Esters from o-Nitrobenzaldehydes. J. Org. Chem., 2010, 75 (10), pp 3488–3491.
- Rosen, M. D.; Venkatesan, H.; Peltier, H. M.; Bembenek, S. D.; Kanelakis, K. C.; Zhao, L. X.; Leonard, B. E.; Hocutt, F. M.; Wu, X.; Palomino, H. L.; Brondstetter, T. I.; Haugh, P. V.; Cagnon, L.; Yan, W.; Liotta, L. A.; Young, A.; Mirzadegan, T.; Shankley, N. P.; Barrett, T. D.; Rabinowitz, M. H. Benzimidazole-2-pyrazole HIF Prolyl 4-Hydroxylase Inhibitors as Oral Erythropoietin Secretagogues. ACS Med. Chem. Lett., 2010, 1 (9), pp 526–529.
- Gelb, M. H.; Kumar, A. B.; Hocutt, F.; Spacil, Z.; Barcenas Rodriguez, M. N.; Turecek, F.; Scott, C. R. (University of Washington, USA). Reagents and methods for screening MPS I, II, IIIa, IIIb, IVa, VI, and VII. US Pat. Appl. 2014054398, September 5, 2014.
- Bembenek, S. D.; Hocutt, F. M.; Leonard, B. E.; Rabinowitz, M. H.; Rosen, M. D.; Tarantino, K. T.; Venkatesan, H. (Janssen Pharmaceutica NV, Belg.). Quinazolinones as prolyl hydroxylase inhibitors. US Pat. Appl. 20100204226, August 12, 2010.
- Hocutt, F. M.; Leonard, B. E.; Peltier, H. M.; Phuong, V. K.; Rabinowitz, M. H.; Rosen, M. D.; Tarantino, K. T.; Venkatesan, H.; Zhao, L. X. (Janssen Pharmaceutica NV, Belg.). Benzoimidazoles as prolyl hydroxylase inhibitors. PCT Int. Appl. WO 2009134750, November 5, 2009.
- Rosen, M. D.; Rabinowitz, M. H.; Zhao, L. X.; Hocutt, F. M. (Janssen Pharmaceutica NV, Belg.). Benzoimidazole glycinamides as prolyl hydroxylase inhibitors. PCT Int. Appl. WO 2009134754, November 5, 2009.
- Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Winter 2012-Spring 2013. Developed diagnostic assays to enable the detection of Krabbe disease and mucopolysaccharidosis in newborns. Designed and synthesized enzyme substrates for use in multiplex mass-spectrometric enzyme assays, iteratively guided substrate solubility and efficacy in assay. Analysis and characterization involved analytical UHPLC/MS, NMR, MS, and HPLC.
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Winter 2011-Fall 2011. Synthesized nanostructures and trapped these using optical dielectrophoresis. Numerically modeled forces on trapped particles using Python. Developed a new, high-volume solution-phase synthesis of Pd nanowires. Characterized nanowires by SEM, TEM, STXM, UV-vis spectroscopy, and XRD. As one of the lab’s first two graduate students, set up the general chemistry areas and project-related portions of the lab.
- Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development, La Jolla, CA. Research Associate, 9/09 to 5/10; Research Assistant, 6/07 to 9/09. Prepared, purified, and characterized novel compounds for biological testing on scales up to 20 g. Developed new synthetic methodologies and optimized existing ones. Primary characterization methods included HPLC, LC/MS, NMR. Inventor on three patents (US2010/0204226, PCT Int. Appl. WO 2009134750, PCT Int. Appl. WO 2009134754).
- Chemistry Department, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA. Thesis research, 9/06–5/07. Worked to develop a streamlined synthesis of the endiandric acids.
- Chemistry Department, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA. NSF-REU, Summer 2006. Explored options for the synthesis of a new combinatorial library scaffold. Attempted systematic optimization of a N-fluorination reaction. Prepared a range of intermediates in the synthesis of lonidamine derivatives. Reaction monitoring by MS; characterization with MS, NMR.
- Teaching Assistant, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Fall 2012. Taught quiz sections for introductory organic chemistry for undergraduates (CHEM 237).
- Teaching Assistant, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Winter 2012. Taught lab sections for the undergraduate introductory organic chemistry lab (CHEM 241).
- Teaching Assistant, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Fall 2011. Taught the lab portion of the introductory undergraduate materials science and engineering class (MSE 170).
- Curriculum development, Chemistry Department, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA. NSF-REU, Summer 2005. Designed, tested, and optimized experiments involving computer-controlled data collection for the general chemistry laboratory class. Documented procedures and prepared equipment.
- Grader/Tutor, Chemistry Department, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA. 9/04–5/07. Tutored students in organic and general chemistry. Evaluated coursework for organic and general chemistry.
Awards & Fellowships
- ARCS Fellow (2010)
- American Chemical Society, Division of Analytical Chemistry Award (2007)
- Dean’s List (’03–’04; ’05–’06)
- Bronze Medal at the International Chemistry Olympiad (Greece, 2003)