I tweak things and make them better. I break ideas down and build them back up. I use whatever ideas and resources are at hand. I find the story that makes the whole fit together. I pull threads until they balance. I edit, troubleshoot, and iterate until I get it right.
My interests include:
- Creating radically inclusive spaces in STEM communities
- Navigating interpersonal power dynamics
- Helping people be their best and most effective selves
- The organic chemistry of food, natural fibers, and dyes
- Engineering approaches to traditional fiber and fabric arts techniques
- Designing for function: fabric, fiber, and color
- Editing for flow, clarity, conciseness, and technical content
- D.I.Y., making, and general badassery
I’m available for teaching, speaking, consultation, and design. Email me: frances.hocutt a t gmail.